• facebook
  • Twitter Round
  • googleplus
  • flickr

© 2014 by Helen Wilson Heritage Conservation Design.

Projects

Montrose, Glebe

Montrose was constructed in 1867- 1868 by Sir George Wigram Allen,  the first mayor of Glebe, but had been much altered by additions to the front in the 1920s. In 2008-2009 Montrose was restored to original 1860s condition with heritage advice from our practice. Each day brought a new discovery and delight. Original sandstone verandah foundations uncovered showed flat cast iron column positions. The original sandstone front step, garden edgings and part of the sandstone base of the iron palisade front fence were unearthed and guided works to the front verandah and garden. The conservation of Montrose won the Energy Australia National Trust Heritage Award 2010 for CONSERVATION BUILT HERITAGE FOR A PROJECT UNDER $1 MILLION: INDIVIDUALS.

Byron Lodge, Sydney

In 1866, a small sandstone cottage was constructed and by 1870 it was extended forwards with a large two storey sandstone Victorian Rustic Gothic additon, now the main presentation to the street. This is an outstanding Victorian Rustic Gothic sandstone house, with a notable sandstone fence to the street, an ornate steeply pitched gabled façade with decorative carved bargeboards and finials, finely detailed sandstone, decorative stone motifs such as the clover leaf gable vent to the street façade, a decorative medallion and a date shield over the entrance portico, an oriel window to the rear of the 1866 building, shallow Gothic arches to internal and external doors and windows, and fine internal staircase and joinery. The practice has provided design, heritage and conservation advice on Byron Lodge since 1998.

Randwick house + studio

This house is one of a row of matching houses  in a Conservation Area, so the owners wanted to retain the single storey scale and appearance of the original house from the street. The additions to the house incorporate a new living room and galley kitchen with bifold windows opening to a side courtyard.  A two storey studio links to the courtyard, with a sizable studio above and a  garage accessed from the rear lane.

The rear additions are not visible from the front street and the original appearance and single storey scale of the house is retained. The brick of the studio garage matches the brick of the house, but the form is modern, yet sensitively discreet and in keeping with the original house.